Beginner IT Jobs
Start your IT Career with hand curated, beginner-friendly IT jobs.
Junior Software Engineer - Battelle
Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Battelle’s Mission Solutions Business Line is seeking a Junior Software Engineer to support multiple government programs and internal research and development. The position will work in a small, fast-moving team collaborating with other engineering disciplines, designers and technicians to deliver cutting-edge software products to the existing and emerging markets. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
- This position will support application design, implementation, and testing in a complex system-of-systems architecture including embedded systems and Linux environments.
- Contributing to the design and documentation of state-of-the-art software and embedded solutions
- Designing UIs to efficiently communicate data to users while maintaining uniform style
- Unit, integration, and system testing and debugging of applications
- Bachelor’s Degree in related engineering field (e.g., Electrical/Computer Engineering, Software Engineering/Development).
- 2-5 years of development experience in C and C++ with supporting experience with Python and Java.
- Excellent communication and writing skills and ability to work in cross-functional team.
- Proactive approach to problem solving and commitment to achieving quality results on schedule.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability and willingness to obtain and maintain a government security clearance.
- Experience with bare-metal application development on custom microcontrollers, FPGA or DSP based systems
- Experience leading a team of technical staff with different levels of expertise and focus
- A portfolio of source code demonstrating development experience and capabilities.
Benefits: Live an Extraordinary Life
We care about your well-being, not just on the job. Battelle offers comprehensive and competitive benefits to help you live your best life.
- Balance life through a compressed work schedule: Most of our team follows a flexible, compressed work schedule that allows for every other Friday off—giving you a dedicated day to accomplish things in your personal life without using vacation time.
- Take time to recharge: You get paid time off to support work-life balance and keep motivated.
- Prioritize wellness: Stay healthy with medical, dental, and vision coverage with wellness incentives and benefits plus a variety of optional supplemental benefits.
- Better together: Coverage for partners, gender-affirming care and health support, and family formation support.
- Build your financial future: Build financial stability with an industry-leading 401(k) retirement savings plan. For most employees, we put in 5 percent whether you contribute or not, and match your contributions on top of that.
- Advance your education: Tuition assistance is available to pursue higher education.
- Flexible work arrangements: You have options for where you work and when you work.
A Work Environment Where You Succeed
For brilliant minds in science, technology, engineering and business operations, Battelle is the place to do the greatest good by solving humanity’s most pressing challenges and creating a safer, healthier and more secure world.
You will have the opportunity to thrive in a culture that inspires you to:
- Apply your talent to challenging and meaningful projects
- Receive select funding to pursue ideas in scientific and technological discovery
- Collaborate with world-class experts in an inclusive environment
- Nurture and develop the next generation of scientific leaders
- Give back to and improve our communities
Vaccinations & Safety Protocols
Battelle may require employees, based on job duties, work location, and/or its clients’ requirements to follow certain safety protocols and to be vaccinated against a variety of viruses, bacteria, and diseases as a condition of employment and continued employment and to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated. If applicable, Battelle will provide reasonable accommodations based on a qualified disability or medical condition through the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act or for a sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and related state laws).
Battelle is an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers