Beginner IT Jobs
Start your IT Career with hand curated, beginner-friendly IT jobs.
Junior Backend Engineer - Boom & Bucket
A lot of people say that they're "revolutionizing an industry," 99% of that is marketing fluff. The truth is that most of those revolutionaries are building mediocre SaaS products for underserved markets. It's easy to conflate revolution with evolution when the status quo hasn't moved. That's not us.
Our customers build the world with their heavy machines. Many have been in business for decades. Their businesses built our roads and bridges, subdivisions and stadiums. Our industry is smart, sophisticated, and savvy. They tell us that they're not happy with the way equipment is purchased and sold. So, along with our customers, we're building the Modern Marketplace for Heavy Equipment. Selling a backhoe should be as easy as selling a car, and we’re making that happen.
The three founders have built three unicorns, sold three companies, and have spent most of their lives in construction technology.
We’re building the equipment industry’s most sophisticated marketplace, and we need a Full Stack Software Engineer who can help execute building high-quality, tested features to differentiate us in the industry from the giants. This role will work with our engineering team to ensure that we are executing the product vision.
You'll have a seat at the table as we make critical decisions around product enhancements, new features, infrastructure, and tech stack. If you’re passionate about building a platform/marketplace to disrupt a massive industry and being an early member of a growing engineering team, we want to talk to you.
The role is 100% remote, with occasional travel for off-sites and ride-alongs with various parts of our organization. Prefer candidates to be co-located in the Front Range of Colorado, but not required.
- Partner with design and provide feedback on the feasibility of concepts - You'll help provide feedback and suggest alternative options as new feature designs come together to ensure we can execute the vision.
- Own and implement major features of the core platform - You'll own the development of several major features and modules of our core marketplace/platform. You'll ensure that the code is well-structured, tested, documented, and maintainable.
- Embrace Extreme Programming practices such as static analysis, code reviews & standards, TDD (where it makes sense), pair programming, and continuous releases to minimize risk and maximize value delivery to our customers.
- Help monitor and enhance our infrastructure - You'll ensure that our cloud infrastructure is performing and work on improvements to ensure robustness/scaleability.
- Perform technical research and development via prototyping to inform future development - You'll own and work on mini-projects from time to time as experiments to prove or disprove our ability to build certain features on the longer-term roadmap. You'll also stay current with the latest backend technologies and share your findings with the team.
- 1-3 years of Software Engineering Experience - you aren't afraid to be in the front end occasionally as well as the back end making continuous improvements to both product delivery and architecture.
- Outcomes Focused - You have a track record of owning challenging goals and accomplishing them. You consistently get your work across the finish line, on time at a high-quality bar.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills - You are a team player who enjoys working in a tight-knit engineering team. You know how to keep communication flowing despite the team being geographically distributed.
- Interest in Construction - We’re building tech to power commerce in the $2T construction industry. It’s a monumental challenge but one that is incredibly important. You might not be familiar with the industry or heavy equipment (and that’s okay) but you should have a keen interest in understanding what makes construction tick, what the barriers to digitization have been, and how we can play a major role in the digital transformation of the industry. You’re not only willing but excited to throw on a safety vest, hard hat, and a pair of work boots and go check out some job sites.
Tools / Frameworks Used
- As a Junior, we don't expect you to be an expert in any of these technologies. Learning these tools & frameworks, and more importantly why and how we use them is critical.
- Architecture Patterns: DDD / CQRS / Event Source / Distributed Computing / Queues
- Languages Used: C# / Typescript / Python / Java / Go
- Cloud Services: Azure Functions / AWS Lambdas
- Integration Testing: Gherkin/Cucumber/SpecFlows
- API Testing: Postman / Newman